United Methodist Church

PINOPOLIS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

In Service to the Lord Since 1887
Breakfast 8:30 AM
Sunday School  9:00 AM
Worship Services 10:00 AM
Office (843) 761-8477
   
     
 

Church History

A small band of Methodists in the Pineland Village of Pinopolis wanted their own Church so they began to meet in homes. It was first mentioned as a church in the S.C. Conference of 1887. Sunday School officers and scholars met under the leadership of Pastor John Laughlin, pastor of the Berkeley Circuit.

Later, a one acre lot bounded on the north by lands of William Cain and Mrs. K.C. Porcher and west by William Cain’s land was purchased August 13, 1887 for $100.00. The first deed is recorded at the Berkeley County RMC office. $500.00 was borrowed to build the church of long leaf pine. The Southern Christian Advocate on April 5, 1900 announced the church’s dedication by John Owen Wilson after costing $600-$700 to build.

There was a parsonage which was shared with the Cross Methodist church until the church bought Cross’ equity for $31,509.60 in July 1987. After Hurricane Hugo demolished the parsonage, the church found a home in Moncks Corner which they continued to use for some time. More recently the pastor has purchased his own home.

The church continued to be successful in its services and activities. During 1954-55 the Murray-Williams building was constructed between the church and the parsonage at a cost between $6,000 and $7,000, it was used mainly as a Sunday School building as well as a smaller building behind it donated by Santee Cooper. Porches and steps were added to the altar end of the sanctuary. The 2-story Fellowship and Educational Building, was completed in 1977 as a result of church growth.

By the 80’s Pinopolis was very active: Membership was approximately 338; Average attendance at church: 130 and Sunday School Attendance reached an average of 75-80 each week. By July 1982 there was an active United Women’s and Men’s group, both meeting regularly. There was also a regular adult choir as well as a children’s choir directed by Mrs. Avis Geiger. Besides the regular services, there were special programs for Easter, Christmas and other standard occasions. In 1986 a youth minister was hired for the summer session. Beginning in 1987, Pinopolis became a station church separating from Cross.

The purposes of the church have continued to grow. These include the following aims: maintain our Wesleyan roots, engage in intentional evangelism, strengthen our witness, provide stewardship ministry, and develop and provide needed programs for every age group.

Provided by: Mrs. Dora Wiley, Church Historian
 
     
 
     
   Join us on Facebook!